Sunday, January 28, 2007



Then I was off to Rotterdam. Arriving in the train station was a bit like a mini NYC subway experience after Delft. Still surrounded by the familiar Dutch mass transit vernacular – somehow people’s movement and everything said – Metropolitan”

I was happy to escape to NAI – Netherlands Architectural Institute. A fifteen-minute walk along a symbolic canal glazed by a thin sheet of ice. I spent five hours reading in the library there. Perched on the second floor looking out over future museum park, books piled up around me. Incredible resource. I explore the boundary between public private _ mind and body; construction of skins, philosophy of urban design, Droog, etc. One could stay for weeks. At the opening of Architecture of the Night, that night, someone asked if I’d accessed the archives? Not yet. I was given a pass for one year of free entry. What a host country!

No comments: