Tuesday, January 16, 2007



.ekwc suggests I work directly on the kiln shelves, (60cm x 60cm) to gain the best results. I test the boundaries of “working” directly on the shelves. In order to work a bone china slab at approximately 1mm thickness, I place a MDF board on the slab roller. Using a thin scrim cloth sandwich, I can transfer it to my studio. Then slice it to size using a plywood pattern, and before too long – onto the kiln shelf. There I incise, pierce, stamp, etc. Looking for transparency and the boundaries of manipulation. How dry, when will it warp, or will it crack?

Scrap slabs become vases if I wrap them around a simple pipe or I am also using plumbers insulation pipes left over from PierLuigi’s packing crates. If I then pour bone china slip into the “sleeve vase” – it makes a bottom in one simple movement. et - volia. Something else to experiment with and find out in a couple of weeks if my hand/mind and materials have some alignement to achieving the image in my minds eye.

No comments: