Saturday, July 7, 2007



Hard to capture the wind, constant shifting of the sunlight and the sense of discovery when one rides out into the countryside, no map, or plan. Maybe these reveal some of my experiences, alone pacing myself for the nine-week residency. Past the halfway point now. The Church Bell struck 10 PM. The June night where I captured the fading sun – is now around 10 – 15 minutes earlier. Thank goodness I do not wake each day at 4:30 or so any more with the dawn birds. There are no longer dusk birds singing.

I will return tomorrow with the jig I’ve concocted of wood to seek Aries’ ideas on how to make it more accurate. The holes I am drilling do not always hit in the center of the cold rolled steel rods, since Arie has a studio in the garden for working steel. He built a small studio space for Corry, with quaint steel doors.

2 comments:

Linda Sawtelle said...

7, 7, 07 fortuitous or so we are told. Great dzy in my studio, glazing reading one kiln, unloading another, good firing of low fire sculptural pieces - will photograph and send you images. Lots of practice stopping the mind chatter lately. Saying the loving kindness prayer when I find making stories in my head about whatever. Just switch the thought to the prayer and mental energy shifts. Don't let myself go down the self centered rabbit hole. Feels good and is amazing that I can see my mind doing its thing and to just rethink to another thought to stop the chatter that gets me nowhere.

Linda Sawtelle said...

"The basic teaching of Buddhism is the teaching of transiency, or change. That everything changes is the basic truth for each existence. No one can deny this truth and all the teaching of Buddhism is condensed within it.... When we realize the everlasting truth of 'everything changes' and find our composure in it, we find ourselves in Nirvana. Without accepting the fact that everything changes, we cannot find perfect composure. But unfortunately, although, it is true, it is difficult for us to accept it. Because we cannot accept the truth of transiency, we suffer."