Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Failure - Means Learning


Slab rolling has a steep learning curve as well. This little bunch of wrapped clay, poising as an innocent present, is the fourth failure to make a slab, despite weighting out 1 kilo more clay than the previous two successes! Proves that trying harder is not always the route to success.

Voila – the issue we happen upon after an hour plus of failure {some how failure seems to absorb more than 8x’s the energy and 3x’s the physical time of FLOW (success) time} the moisture in the clay influences the outcome etc.

As I wedged the first 3-kilo lump, my intuition said, hum – stiff clay. Yet, it took four failures of rolling slabs - and finally this obscure fact rose with my sweat and exhaustion to consciousness.

Now that I write about the day, I realize there is a small device to measure the resistance of the clay {a function of the % of moisture} I played with in January. This too was a detail I did not recall or realize was an important data point collected.

No comments: